This DIY Simple Live Wreath tutorial is just that, simple.
I’ve seen these “live-looking” faux wreaths in magazines before for upwards of $70. I’ve always admired how simple and elegant they are, but who wants to spend that kinda money on a wreath? Personally, I’d rather put that money towards my Christmas tree! ha! So, I looked around my yard for the type of clippings that could work for the look I was going for, I and came up with this DIY simple live wreath tutorial for you! Seriously- this took hardly anytime at all. Even the most novice of “crafter wannabes” can pull this one off in a pinch!
Ok so my motto is, if I can do it so can you! I used to love doing simple craft projects when my kids were super little. It was a creative outlet for me. But now that I’m working from home, and am running around more I find I don’t have that kind of time these days. Especially the time that it takes for that amount of “mental creativity space” if that makes sense. I used to craft or work on my blog of family pics (hello, remember blogspot?!) after the kids would go to bed and stay up until after midnight. Now, I find myself headed straight for my bathtub and bed once the kids are finally down for the night. I blame age, ha!
I’m all about big outcome with minimal effort.
So for this wreath I literally just reached over my balcony (carefully) :), and chopped some branches off my olive tree. Then, I tore the branches up into smaller pieces, and tied those pieces in a clockwise motion onto a wreath form. Cause mama’s got things to do! Like folding socks and solving all the world’s problems at the same time! We ladies do it all these days I swear! So many super chicks out there. But don’t let your to-do’s get in the way of exploring your creative side. If you like simple wreath tutorials check out this other one I did here.
A couple things I love about this DIY simple live wreath tutorial…
1. There’s no right or wrong way to do it. Trim your pieces for a super neat look or let it be more bushy and wild. Whatever you fancy!
2. You can use clippings from your yard so you only need to buy two things! Floral wire and the wreath form. Find both by clicking here and here.
3. This makes a great gift! When you’re looking for ideas for hostess gifts for the holidays this is perfect because its beautiful and YOU made it!
4. Get in touch with your creative side. Did I mention already that there’s no right or wrong way to make this DIY wreath?! LOVE that!
5. Find a new way to display some of your favorite flowers or greenery. Because lets face it- sometimes those pretty branches or florals from the grocery store just don’t look right stuffed in a vase. This is a more unique and fun way to display your florals in your home.
Okay okay, enough about me more about YOU! Let’s get on with the instructions shall we?
STEP 1: Buy a wreath form. I’ve worked with both wire ones and grapevine.
click here for the grapevine wreath I used
STEP 2: Go cut something! I used olive branches for mine, but you could use juniper or spruce if you’re going for something more holiday-ish or even holly. Anything will work!
STEP 3: cut your pieces down if they’re super long
STEP 4: tie on the pieces to your wreath with floral wire (you’ll want to use strong kitchen or craft scissors or wire cutters depending on how thick your wire is)
I recommend this wire here.
You can trim pieces that are sticking out or tuck them into the wreath. The look of your wreath is up to you! Here’s the final product…
I made this for under $15!
Click the link below for our DIY Simple Live Wreath tutorial video!
Here are some other beautiful wreaths that inspired me! Click the pic to see more from these talented ladies!
For a couple other fun tutorials I’ve done check out my glam Halloween wreath and the fall mantle decor I made here.
If you liked this tutorial or if you made it and loved it please let me know below! And tag me on instagram because I’d love to see how yours turns out! @poplollyco
Thanks for reading friends!
Suzanne Freeman says
Great idea! I am going to try this!
Yay! Be sure to tag me if you post it. I want to seeeee!!!